What are the parts of a solar energy system?
There are other key components to a solar system aside from the panels themselves.
To generate your own energy, you need a complete solar power system. The essential components:
- Solar panels, to capture energy from the sun
- inverter, to convert that energy to a format that can power our appliances
- Racking, the foundation on which you mount your system
You also need a method to store the energy generated by the panels. If you have access to power lines, this doesn’t require additional equipment. It can simply be fed into the utility grid and used later.
- Batteries, to store the energy you generate
- Charge controller, to control the rate at which batteries charge from solar
These are connected by smaller components like wiring, fuses, and disconnects.
You can also add equipment to monitor your system’s output online, which helps troubleshoot any issues with shading or defective equipment.